Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
These simple tips will help you stay virus and spyware free, even if
you're connected to the internet 24 hours a day.
- Protect yourself
Good protection on the Internet these days consists of 3 components:
anti-virus software, anti-spyware software and a firewall.
As for a firewall, Windows XP ships with a decent enough firewall. Just
make sure it is always enabled. Alternatively you can visit a site like
www.download.com and search for Zone Alarm, which has an excellent free
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep your
anti-virus software up to date. An anti-virus program that uses
definitions that are months old is just about useless.
Update your anti-virus and anti-spyware software at least once a week.
- Stop opening every attachment you receive.
Most of the devastating worms and viruses of recent times were
distributed via email. These viruses feed on the curiosity and also the
ignorance of a huge number of email users. People will get an email
from fakename@weirdsuspiciousdomain and they'll just open whatever file
is attached to it.
If you don't know the sender, don't open the attachment - just delete
it. It doesn't matter if the subject promises you'll see Britney Spears
dancing nude on the kitchen table, just delete it.
If the email is from someone you know, always scan any attachments
first before downloading or opening them.
If every email user in the world followed these simple guidelines the
distribution of viruses via email will grind to a halt.
- Stay clear of pornographic and illegal software sites
If you want to pick up viruses and spyware quickly, visit some
pornographic web sites. One wrong click on a subtle little pop-up or
security warning window (which you'll run into often on these type of
sites) and you'll have infested yourself with trojan horses, spyware,
dialers and other unfavorable software that could leave your computer
wide open to further attacks.
The same goes for web sites distributing software, serial codes and
cracks illegally (warez).
Simply put - keep out of the dark side of the web and the odds of
keeping your computer clean shifts decidedly in your favor.
- Watch out what you download
Spyware is embedded in a lot of software on the Internet - especially
those related to ripping, converting and playing music and videos. That
free MP3 player or DVD Ripper you just downloaded may have installed a
bunch of harmful spyware without you even knowing about it.
- Keep yourself informed
Major anti-virus software developers like Symantec and Grisoft updates
their sites regularly with the latest virus alerts. Visit these sites
frequently to keep yourself aware of what threats are doing the rounds
and how to avoid them.
Using this simple software I have kept my computer virus-free for
the past 3 years. It's not rocket science. Just stay alert, use some
common sense and you too can stay bug free while still enjoying your
Articles Source - Free Articles
Learning to use a computer is easy. Learning how to use a computer safely and securely, however, sometimes take a lesson in harsh reality. If your computer has never fallen victim to a virus, consider yourself very, very lucky. Take steps now to protect your investment against damage or even destruction.
All computer users, particularly those who frequently use the Internet, are subjecting their computers to viruses. There is a constant threat of hackers, spam, spyware, phishing, adware, Trojans, scammers, and many more destructive viruses. Once you connect to the web, your computer and files are vulnerable and at serious risk. Without proper computer virus protection, your computer can be rendered virtually useless in just a few seconds.
There is no single computer virus protection software that can guarantee total or lasting protection. New viruses and threats are continually emerging, so it's important to choose one reliable, anti-virus software and have it updated regularly to keep your computer protected from new viruses. It is essential that you fortify your PC with the most recent early automatic virus protection available, and update it as frequently as possible.
There are some easy ways to access computer virus protection software to safeguard your files and your help keep your hardware protected from damage. Anti-virus software can be accessed easily through the Internet. Most online computer virus protection offers integrated firewall, anti-virus and intrusion prevention against known and emerging threats. These programs ensure the protection of your irreplaceable files, such as important personal documents and family photos. Additionally, they identify adware and spyware before they can run to your computer, and they clean automatically clean viruses and virus threats.
It can be difficult to decide on the right anti-virus software at a local computer shop, but the Internet is still the best alternative offering the widest selection. You can find the best software at the best prices online. A simple search is all it takes to find countless sites with full product descriptions. There is no better place than the Internet to shop for computer virus protection.
Here are some of the most highly recommended anti-virus software providers that you can easily access online:
* Norton AntiVirus Norton has been around for quite a while and is respected as an excellent virus protection. Norton has successfully developed its software to match up with emerging viruses. It will automatically scan and eliminate viruses from your computer, including instant message and e-mail attachments
* McAfee VirusScan This program detects, removes and blocks viruses and spyware that could cause irreversible damage to your computer and result in the loss of your irreplaceable documents, such as digital photos, family movies, and financial spreadsheets. These threats can also lead to identity theft and slower PC performance. Many of the things you value and need most are being stored right now on your PC. VirusScan protects the security of your valuable files and documents by automatically scanning and cleaning files, downloads and e-mail messages, as well as instant message and e-mail attachments.
* eTrust EZ Antivirus This is a solid package from Computer Associates that has a relatively simple interface and works well with many computers. A two-year subscription offers great protection at a good price. Your subscription to eTrust EZ Antivirus includes up-to-date protection that can be automatically downloaded when your computer is connected to the Internet. Because this program provides the latest information, you are less likely to become infected.
There are countless other computer virus protection options on the market. You need to find the provider that's right for you. Be diligent in your research; take the time to learn the benefits and drawbacks of each one, and read blogs and forums to see product ratings from previous users.
As with any product, your computer requires a certain amount of upkeep to run effectively, and protection to keep it from harm. It's a big investment, so spend the time and money to get the computer virus protection software you need.
Articles Source - Free Articles